New Assistant City Manager Introduced, Emergency Funds Allocated at Council
Tuesday night’s regular East Lansing City Council meeting lasted nearly two hours, with much of the time devoted to ongoing concerns over residential permit parking (RPP) in Chesterfield Hills. For more information regarding that issue, see ELi's special report.
Four members of Council were present (Mayor Mark Meadows plus Councilmembers Erik Altmann, Shanna Draheim, and Susan Woods), with Mayor Pro Tem Ruth Beier absent because she was visiting her new granddaughter in California.
Annual ELPL fundraiser: In his Councilmember report, Erik Altmann reminded the public of the fifth annual Books, Bites, & Bids fundraiser for the East Lansing Public Library, taking place this Friday at Hannah Community Center, 5:30-9:00 pm. This year’s fundraiser targets childhood literacy and technology.
Love East Lansing recap: Councilmembers also remarked on the success of last week’s “Love East Lansing” place-making workshop with Peter Kageyama. Mayor Meadows discussed the possibility of future discussions and workshops taking place throughout town at the neighborhood level.
Assistant to the City Manager: In his City Manager’s Report, George Lahanas offered praise for and thanks to his outgoing assistant Megan Clark, who is preparing to give birth. He then welcomed Eilis Seide, the new Assistant to the City Manager. City Attorney Thomas Yeadon echoed Lahanas’s praise of Ms. Clark.
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) & Human Services Funding: Though these fund allocations were the focus of the evening’s earlier special Council meeting (as reported for ELi by Chris Root), several recipients spoke during public comment to thank the City for its support through this funding system. The speakers included Kevin McGraw of Volunteers of America Michigan, Rachel Tanner of Information Technology Empowerment Center (ITEC), Susan Chalgian of MSU’s College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP), Michael Coscarelli of The Listening Ear Crisis Intervention Center, Erica Schmittdiel of MSU Safe Place/CARE Advocacy Center, and Eric Roberts of EVE, Inc.
Crystal Awards: In her report, Councilmember Woods highlighted last week’s Crystal Awards ceremony for “four very deserving unsung heroes.”
Taste of East Lansing recap: Councilmember Woods also praised the recent Taste of East Lansing event, hosted by the Community Relations Coalition, as an “enormous success” in her report.
Consent agenda items: The consent agenda was passed unanimously and without discussion. It included:
- approving an Ingham County Parks and Trials Millage Grant application for repairing the Northern Tier Trail;
- approving a letter of agreement with MSU Council of Graduate Students for 2016-17 semester permit parking;
- approving an $850,000 purchase agreement to sell a 6.42-acre parcel at Merritt and Park Lake Roads;
- approving $35,000 in emergency and as-needed electrical maintenance;
- approving up to $80,000 in miscellaneous concrete work throughout the city;
- approving a $209,233 CDBG project for concrete work for Park Lane sidewalk, the Burcham Drive and Abbot Road intersection, and the Burcham Drive and John R. Street intersection;
- setting a public hearing to consider and approve submitting a Consolidated Plan to the Department of Housing and Urban Development;
- extending the Noncomforming Use Committee’s deadline for recommendations to June 30, 2016;
- referring Ordinance No. 1371, a rezoning request from EL 16, LLC, to the Planning Commission.
The last item was originally on the Business Agenda, but was moved to the consent agenda by Mayor Meadows, with unanimous approval, at the meeting’s start.
Executive session: Council adjourned to executive session after the public portion of the meeting to discuss collective bargaining strategy and an update with the City Manager.
Reminder: If you wish to communicate to Council on matters before the City, you can speak at Council meetings during the “public comment” period or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
eastlansinginfo.org © 2013-2019 East Lansing Info